This is one of my favorite recipes for meatloaf. The ingredients in this recipe make it an incredibly rich and flavorful main dish. My favorite sides with this meatloaf are steamed new potatoes and pan-fried green beans.
Prep/Cook Time: 30 min to prep, 1 hr. to bake
1 c. Sun-dried tomatoes (dice after rehydration)
2 c. Boiling water
1/4 c. Corn flakes, crushed
1 lg. Onion finely chopped
1/2 Medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
4 Cloves garlic, minced
2 lg. Eggs
1/2 c. Creamy havarti cheese, grated
2 tsp. Dried basil
1tsp. Dried parsley
1 tsp. Dried oregano
1/2 tsp. Dried thyme
1/2 tsp. Ground pepper
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 lbs. Lean ground beef, turkey, or bison
Vegetable oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Soften tomatoes in boiling water and then drain. Cut into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add the crushed corn flakes, and mix to coat. Set aside.
- Sauté onions and green peppers until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Add to the tomato mixture.
- Beat the eggs and add to mixture. Mix well. Add the cheese, herbs, seasonings, and meat. Stir until well blended.
- Press mixture into a 9×5-inch loaf pan lightly coated with vegetable spray. Bake for 1 hour or until reaches temperature of 170 with roasting thermometer.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut into slices and serve with your favorite sides.