This recipe is a yummy variation on the classic comfort food–macaroni and cheese. It has creamy, sweetness from the squash and ricotta and the sharp, nutty taste from the Parmesan. It is sure to become a family favorite on cold winter nights!
- 2-3 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. Parmesan cheese
- 1 package shells, macaroni, or rotini noodles, cooked according to directions
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Steam butternut squash in pressure cooker; once it reaches pressure, cook for 5 min. then quick release (or you can steam in large pot with steamer basket till tender).
- While butternut squash in cooking, sauté onions in oil and butter over medium heat till softened, about 5-7 min.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute and then add milk to make roux.
- Once the roux has thickened, lower the heat to low and add the ricotta cheese and cooked butternut squash; use a potato masher to smash the squash till smooth in texture.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly, then stir in noodles and serve.